Organized Thursday evening, December 18, 1912, in the basement of George W. Long, 35 W. Hillcrest Avenue, Oakmont. At this meeting, the following officers were elected to serve for the year 1913: President George W. Long, 1st Vice President: Frank Zeiss, Sr., Treasurer: William Hersey, Recording Secretary: Wilson T. Young, Fire Chief: Horace White, BOARD OF MANAGERS: George Deaves: Chairman, Joseph R. Connell, George S. Jenkins, Thomas P. Carter, David W. Stewart, Frank Zeiss, Sr., William McMullan, I.R. Warner White, George McConaghy, Sr.

An Application for a charter was made soon after this meeting and incorporation was concluded on January, 14, 1914. During 1913, a two-wheeled, hand drawn, 60-gallon chemical (soda and acid) engine was purchased. The area served was wherever there was a fire from Bon-Air to Llanerch.

1914-19 | 1920s | 1930s | 1940s | 1950s | 1960s | 1970s | 1980s | 1990s | 2000s

1914
January:   100 people attended Ladies' Auxiliary Supper.
Requested three more "water plugs" from the board of commissioners.
February:   Merion Fire Company donated a locomotive bell for a fire bell.
Fund Raiser (shooting match) grossed $26.75; netted $18.00
March:   Autocar Co. donated a load of firewood.
May:   Order placed with Autocar Co. for a rebuilt auto chassis on which to place the engine.
May 27: First payment to Autocar : $100.00
June:   James Boyd and Brothers quoted a price of $150.00 to mount our chemical and air tank on the Autocar chassis.
Mr. Deaves offered the use of his shed to house the apparatus, but it would require alterations. Mr. Warner White, with a mallet in his hand, approached the members of the Ladies' Auxiliary who were in the session and asked for a loan of $100.00 to be used for purchasing a "body". Some of the ladies demanded further information. In consequence thereof, all the members of the fire company who were present went to assistance of Mr. White and, after giving an interesting hard luck story, the ladies decided to consider the matter and report at the next meeting.
Pennsylvania State Highway advised that no license is required for automobile fire apparatus, but it must be registered.
July:   Rech Marbaker quoted a price of $80.00 for the body on the new apparatus plus $30.00 for the brass railing. The Ladies' Auxiliary agreed to pay for the body.
September:   Mr. Connell was asked to permit the fire alarm (locomotive Fire bell obtained from PRR) put on his property at the corner of Eagle and Coopertown Roads.
December 12:   Oakmont Fire Company Incorporated.
 

1915


February 16:   Mr. Deaves presented Plans for a new building and hall, together with the financing plan.
March 9:   The semi-monthly meeting held at Oakmont High School, as our previous meeting placed burned down.
May 26:   New firehouse being used.
 

1916


April 26:   Oakmont Fire Co. agreed to grant the use of the building on Coopertown Road near Oakmont station for the temporary headquarters for a police department to be established in the near future. No compensation will be required.
December 27:   Committee appointed to investigate having a new stone building for the firehouse.
 

1917


April 26:   Host the Delaware County Fireman's Association.
 

1918


March 13:   Chief Cocker reported he has been appointed Assistant Fire Marshall, in this district (the fourth district).
 

1919


March 25:   Oakmont Fire Company agreed to pay half the cost of a party wall between Robert Little's garage and the proposed new firehouse.
April 26:   Contracted with Frank Wilson to erect the new firehouse, not to exceed $14,000.00
 

Return to Top

 

1920


February 17:   Dedication of new firehouse at Bellemead and Coopertown, with a self-sustaining banquet with entertainment.
 

1922


July 4:   Ladies Auxiliary presents a new Ford chemical engine, fully equipped, to the Commissioners of Haverford Township as a "first aid in fire protection".
 

1923


March:   Fire Chief William Crocker was seriously injured at a fire in the Brookline District. This was the first serious accident sustained by a member of the company.
 

1924


May 13:   Fire Chief Remy suggested an alarm system and an active fire-fighting crew.
 

1925


April 20:   Three types of new fire engines were compared: piston-pump, centrifugal; and rotary-geared pump. A decision was made to by an American LaFrance rotary-geared 600 gallons capacity with the specs to be made later, for $10,250.00.
July 18:   Housing of new fire engine. Fourteen companies with 175 men attended.
October 13:   The entire real estate of the company was ordered sold by the board.
November 18:   Above sale consummated for $51,000.00, and a lot 50' X 125' on the "southeast" side of Benedict Avenue was then purchased for $4500.00.
 

1926


January 12:   Plans for new firehouse rejected as cost were excessive, new plans requested. Firehouse plans approved for $20,592.00, awarded to Frank Wilson.
February 9:   Fire police (special officers) appointed.
August 10:   Final settlement on new firehouse.
October 12:   The Ford Chemical overhauled.
 

1927


February 8:   Action to be brought against P&W railroad, compelling them to provide a section for pedestrians over the bridge on Eagle Road.
 

1928


    During the year of 1928, there were 47 fires, (18 house fires).
May 7:   Siren tower erected.
September 10:   Graham Dodge bid of $3047.00 accepted for 1 _ ton chassis, completed.
 

1929


    During the year of 1929, there were 42 fires, (8 dwellings).
February:   Settled with Thornton Fuller for new Graham-Dodge.
May 7:   New Graham-Dodge has insufficient sepped, and Thornton Fuller was requested to look at this.
June 10:   New Graham-Dodge now operating satisfactorily.
 

Return to Top

 

1930


    During the year of 1930, there were 50 fires, (3 house fires).
July 1:   Ford Chemical truck converted to "hauling late-comers".
 

1931


    During the year of 1931, there were 50 fires, (11 dwellings fires).
 

1932


    During the year of 1932, there were 47 fires, (16 dwellings).
 

1933


    During the year 1933, there were 38 fires, (11 dwellings).
November 5:   Advised the Township Commissioners we are opposed to any form of taxation to support the fire company.
 

1934


    During the year 1934, there were 76 fires, (18 dwellings).
February 13:   Title of "Honorary Chief" bestowed on Gus Remy.
October 9:   Letter sent to Postmaster General, James Farley requesting a local post office.
December 11:   Gas mask with speakers diaphragm purchased (all purpose Burrell).
 

1935


March 11:   The LaFrance pumper now 10 years old, and should be looked over by LaFrance as soon as ready cash is available.
December 9:   George Beard installed new siren ($247.00 for a 3 hp, 220v, single phase, vertical "Federal" Siren, shipped by Nat Alexander.
 

1936


July 21:   Two red lights mounted on the wagon for night fires.
 

1937


March 9:   Chief suggested replacement for Ford Chemical Engine.
June 1:   Autocar bid rejected.
April:   Club composed of active crewmembers organized.
September 24:   Fire Chief's car acquired.
 

1938


February 8:   Door opener working in conjunction with the blowing of the siren.
April 11:   New Autocar wagon authorized.
October 10:   Arrangement completed for housing and parade to consist of 22 fire trucks, from 10 companies.
November 14:   First Aid classes instituted. (WPA project ­ Red Cross supervised).
December 12:   Committee to investigate feasibility of an ambulance.
 

1939


April 11:   New Autocar Wagon Authorized.
October 10:   Arrangements completed for the housing and parade.
November 14:   First Aid classes instituted, Red Cross Supervised
 

Return to Top

 

1940


November 12:   Following members in active military service: Ulmer C. Strang, Rex Blackmore, and R. Baker.
 

1941


September 8:   Deputy Chief Russell Baker and Captain J. Kain designated Honorary Members due to U.S. Military service.
 

1942


May 05:   22 5-gallon Indian tanks furnished by the Commissioners.
October 10:   "A group of residents" installed a short-wave radio for use in the event the Teletype system is destroyed by air raids (30 feet mast).
October 13:   Firehouse insulated due to fuel shortage.
December 18:   18 of the 35 firemen are in Armed Forces.
 

1943


May:   Lots adjoining firehouse obtained by the township for the fire company.
August:   "For the duration" crew age reduced from 18 years old to 17 years old.
 

1945


November:   Chief Nicoladse resigned as chief. He was made Honorary Chief for life.
 

1947


During the year of 1947, there were 115 fires, (19 houses).
June 10:   Electric clocks again appearing on the market. One purchased.
 

1949


June:   Honorary Chief Nicoladse appointed Life Member.
 

Return to Top

 

1950


March 22:   Bought Peter Pirsch Ladder Truck from Keystone Fire Company, Boyertown, Pa. For $ 9500.00
 

1951


January 9:   Chief Ernest Heimberger appointed to the position of Fire Chief for a 5-year term.
February:   Crew in actual fire-fighting service for 18 hours and 41 minutes to assist Lower Merion at Ryan & Christie warehouse fire.
November 13:   Mr. C.E. Land made "Honorary President" for life.
The Board of Directors and Board of Managers became a single board.
 

1952


October 1:   LaFrance Engine, Model year 1924, sold to George M. Hughes for $551.00.
 

1953


    Peter Pirsch 1000-gallons-per-minute foam pumper delivered.
 

1954


April 13:   85' Peter Pirsch Aerial purchased for $34,756.00
October:   Seventeen men on stand-by during Hurricane Hazel.
October 12:   "Quad" Peter Pirsch Ladder Truck Scorched at Haverford Road Fire.
 

1955


January 19:   After test, Middle Dept. Association of Fire Underwriters recommended that the Peter Pirsch Aerial be accepted.
February 24:   Peter Pirsch Aerial in service.
 

1956


January 4:   Ernest Heimberger Reappointed to the position of Fire Chief for a 5-year term.
February 14:   Mr. Brooks, Golfview Road granted Life Member after $1,000.00 donation to the company in appreciation of our assistance at his house during the flood.
March 13:   Plans for a traffic light at Darby & Benedict Ave. completed. Awaiting state approval.
May 8:   Dr. Lidle chosen as first recipient of Meritorious Award.
June:   Air horns tested satisfactory during alarm # 75, A Civil Defense Red Alert.
September 10:   Cosmo Anastasia awarded Life Membership in appreciation of construction work donated on our building.
 

1958


October 14:   Discussion on considering a new emergency rescue truck.
December 9:   Contract to Christopher to build the body of new rescue truck approved, $10,500.00. Chassis from Madden Ford $ 4,111.00.
 

1959


January 5:   Ordered New Ford-Christopher Rescue Truck.
September 8:   The 1939 Autocar, which had been converted into a light truck, was sold to Trevose Heights Fire Company for $700.00.
November 9:   Township has appropriated $20,000.00 for the new pumper. The apparatus committee is to draw up the specifications. New rescue truck in service.
 

Return to Top

 

1960


November 10:   Architects Monaghan & Forrest selected for the firehouse addition.
 

1961


January 10:   Ernest Heimberger Re-appointed to the position of Fire Chief for a 5-year term.
 

1962


June 12:   F.M. Supplee contracted to build extension to the building for $83,174.00. The board required a $60,000.00 Construction bond from the builder.
September 11:   In Lieu of the 50th anniversary, the new kitchen is completely furnished.
 

1963


April 9:   Contractor Supplee in financial difficulty.
November 12:   Accepted $4,000.00 settlement for improper cement floor grading.
 

1964


April:   Meritorious award posthumously to Charles Runk by Father Grifferty of St. Denis.
September 8:   Extension of the building accepted.
 

1965


    Fire Calls for the year: 246.
 

1966


    Fire Calls for the year: 203.
May 10:   E. Heimberger, seconded by J. Healy, motioned the board to request the township place in the 1967 budget sufficient funds for a new pumper.
May 11:   Alarm No 84. Barn Fire. Chief Ernie Heimberger suffered a fatal heart attack, collapsed and died at the scene. Transported to Bryn Mawr Hospital in the rescue truck, Dr. Joseph Wagner, Fire Surgeon, pronounced him dead on arrival to the hospital.
May 12:   John J. Healy appointed temporary Fire Chief.
May 14:   Alarm no 90 Beloved FIRE CHIEF buried with full military honors. Fire engine used as the hearse.
July 12:   John J. Healy appointed to full 5 year term as Fire Chief.
October 10:   New fire officers appointed by the chief.
 

1967


    Fire Calls for the year: 241.
February 15:   Recommended to the township that the present Bureau of Fire be recognized as the Fire Department and that a full time fire marshal be appointed for fire prevention, investigation and enforcement and would be an ex-official member of the Bureau of Fire and the American Insurance Institute Fire Code be adopted.
 

1968


    Fire Calls for the year: 249.
June 12:   Requesting the Township replace their fire engine with a new fire engine.
October 8:   Discussion on a smaller rescue unit.
 

1969


    Fire Calls for the year: 238.
February 11:   Claire Heimberger (Wife) awarded Life membership with voting privileges.
October 4:   Apparatus and uniformed crew attended Bryn Mawr Fire Company Parade & Housing.
October 14:   James McGoldrick appointed Solicitor; Dr. George W. Miller, III, Fire Surgeon.
 

Return to Top

 

1970


    Fire Calls for the year: 203.
 

1971


    Fire Calls for the year: 224.

  Plans approved for the 60th Anniversary celebration.
September 14:   Chief John J. Healy re-appointed for five years.
 

1972


    Fire Calls for the year: 179.
    Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.
    Commissioners award the purchase of a 1250 Gallon Per Minute Engine Fire Truck to Imperial. This truck is to be the first truck in the fire company to be painted yellow.
 

1973


    Fire Calls for the year: 218.
    Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.
October 15:   Placed into service 1973 Imperial 1250 G.P.M. Engine.
 

1974


    Fire Calls for the year: 253.
    Fire Company Banquet held at The Falcon Center in Havertown.
    Raymond J. Keller Jr. Appointed to the position of Fire Chief for a 4-year term.
    Run #144 Captain Martin J. Basile was killed in the line of duty while responding to this call.
 

1975


    Fire Calls for the year: 275.
    The 750 Gallon Pirsch Engine placed 1st place in its class of pumpers at the Darby Township Parade. According to Chief Keller this is the 1st prize in Oakmont's history.
 

1976


    Fire Calls for the year: 257.
    Fire Company Banquet held at The Falcon Center in Havertown.
June 24:   Contract signed for a 100' Peter Pirsch Ladder Truck
    Ford Rescue "Dumbo" sold to Laurel Fire Department in Laurel Delaware.
 

1977


    Fire Calls for the year: 325.
    Fire Company Banquet held at St. David's Inn, Radnor Pa.
 

1978


    Fire Calls for the year: 350.
February:   Old Ladder-1, 1955 85' Peter Pirsch sold to the city of Pittston Pa.
May:   Father McKendrick, Pastor of St. Georges Church of Ardmore appointed to Fire Chaplin.
 

1979


    Fire Calls for the year: 382.
    Raymond J. Keller Jr. Reappointed to the position of Fire Chief for a 4-year term.
 

Return to Top

 

1980


    Fire Calls for the year: 382.
    Fire Surgeon Dr. Miller. Chaplin McKendrick, and solicitor James McGoldrick appointed to a 2-year term.
 

1981


    Fire Calls for the year: 346.
June 15-21   Oakmont Fire Company stood by at Merion Country Club for the US Golf Open.
 

1982


    Fire Calls for the year: 367.
March 9:   Contract was signed with Peter Pirsch for an Engine.
    The front apron of the firehouse was replaced.
 

1983


    Fire Calls for the year: 325.
    Placed into service 1983 Peter Pirsch 1000 Gallon Per Minute Engine.
 

1984


    Fire Calls for the year: 315.
    The Oakmont Fire Company Newsletter was named The Oakmont Volunteer.
    Arthur J. O'Conner was appointed to the position of Fire Chief for a 4-year term.
    The old Engine-13 (1953 1000 Gallon Per Minute Peter Pirsch) was sold to Mr. Bill Prince of Havertown.
July 21:   The "Hurst Tool" placed into service and put to service for the first time.
 

1985


    Fire Calls for the year: 307.
    This was the first year for the fire company to participate in the Lower Merion Police And Fire Softball League.
 

1986


    Fire Calls for the year: 261.
May:   Contract signed with Sutphen for the purchase of a 1250 Gallon Per Minute Engine painted yellow.
    The softball team won the season and league Championship.
 

1987


    Fire Calls for the year: 273.
    The softball team won the season and league Championship.
June 6:   Saturday the fire company hosted a parade to celebrate our 75 Anniversary of the Oakmont Fire Company.
    Fire Company banquet held at the Twelve Caesars Restaurant in Philadelphia.
 

1988


    Fire Calls for the year: 265.
February:   Placed into service a 1988 Sutphen 1000 Gallons Per Minute Engine (Engine-12).
March 16:   William G. Hatton Sr. Appointed to the position of Fire Chief for a 4-year term.
 

1989


    Fire Calls for the year: 263.
    Fire Chief Hatton reports 23 members have received a certificate for Hazardous Material Incident Analysis.
May 13:   25 Members of this fire company attended a parade for the Oakmont Fire Company in Oakmont Pa., on their 100th Anniversary, located outside Pittsburgh.
June 3:   The Fire Company participated in the 75th Anniversary parade at the Brookline Fire Company.
 

Return to Top

 

1990


    Fire Calls for the year: 233.
    Fire Company Banquet held at the St. David's Inn, Radnor Pa.
February:   A 4-bottle Air Cascade system purchased.
May 21:   1990 Emergency One (E-ONE) GMC Rescue placed into service.
    Old Rescue-1 (1977 Dodge Maxi-Van) sold to Ally Stevens
 

1991


    Fire Calls for the year: 245.
 

1992


    Fire Calls for the year: 252.
 

1993


    Fire Calls for the year: 247.
July:   Placed into service 1993 White Chevy Suburban as the Fire Chief's Vehicle.
May:   Dedication for the New Fire Training Tower, Located off of Old West Chester Pike.
May:   Distribution and Installation of free smoke detectors started.
 

1994


    Fire Calls for the year: 318.
    Fire Company banquet to be held at the Overbrook Country Club in Radnor, Pa.
January:   This Month the fire company had the most fire calls, 53 for a month in the history of the fire company.
 

1995


    Fire Calls for the year: 269.
    Placed into service 1995 Emergency-One (E-ONE) 100' Ladder Truck.
    Fire Company Banquet held at Overbrook Country Club in Radnor.
March 8:   Hosted The DELCO Fire Police Meeting.
 

1996


    Fire Calls for the year: 284.
    Fire Company Banquet held at Overbrook Country Club in Radnor.
 

1997


    Fire Calls for the year: 285.
 

1998


    Fire Calls for the year: 256.
    Gibraltar Fire Company Pa. purchased the old Engine-11 (1983 Peter Pirsch Engine), and old Ladder ­1, (1977 100' Peter Pirsch Aerial Truck).
 

1999


    Fire Calls for the year: 341.
    Fire Company Banquet held at Williamson's atop the GSB building in Bala Cynwyd.
    Kulpmont Fire Company Pa. purchased the old Engine-12 (1988 Sutphen Engine).
    Placed into service 2 (twins) Emergency-One (E-ONE) 2000 Gallon Per Minutes Engines. Trucks designated Engine-11 and Engine-12.
 

Return to Top

 

2000


    Fire Calls for the year: 291.
    Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.
    William G. Hatton Reappointed to the position of Fire Chief for a 4-year term.
June:   Engine room painted Red & Black.
 

2001


    Fire Calls for the year: 267.
    Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.
    Hosted the DELCO Fire Police Meeting.
    Joseph M. Parks receives the "Fire Police of the Year" from the Delaware County Firemen's Association.
    William H. Connor Receives the "Fireman of the Year" from the Delaware County Firemen's Association.
 

2002


    Fire Calls for the year: 274
May   Placed into service a White, 2002 Chevy Tahoe designated as the Chief's Vehicle.
July   Chief and Members of the department attended the funeral services in Gloucester New Jersey, where 3 New Jersey firefighters were killed in the line of duty
August   Chief and members of this department attended a memorial service on Staten Island New York, for a New York City firefighter. "Gary Geidel" of Rescue-1.
September   Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.
 

2003


    Fire Calls for the year: 309

  Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.

  Oakmont had 28 members complete the FF1 Standards to be National Firefighters.
 

2004


    Fire Calls for the year: 263

  Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.

  Oakmont Fire Company accepted a FEMA grant for $64,400.00.
 

2005


    Fire Calls for the year: 302

  Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.
3/15/2005

The hiring of Casaccio Architects (Havertown PA.) to design our new firehouse.
 

2006


    Fire Calls for the year: 248

  Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.
 

2007


    Fire Calls for the year: 243

  Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.
 

2008


February 28   Chief William Hatton Sr. Retires as Chief, Robert J.(Mags) McGoldrick is appointed to the term of Chief.
May 27

The hiring of A&E Construction (Upper Darby, PA) to build our new firehouse
July 12   Ground breaking for the new firehouse.
September 27   Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.

December 1

Loan approved from Haverford Township for the new building


Fire calls for the year  234

2009


September

Approved purchase of a Ford Expedition (Chiefs Vehicle)


Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.


Fire calls for the year 319

2010


March

Chiefs vehicle placed into service


Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club.


Fire Calls for the year 304
2011





Fire Company Banquet held at Llanerch Country Club


Fire Calls for the year 326
2012


January


Entering our 100 Anniversary


Mass at St. Denis Church for the celebration of 100 years of service to Haverford Township
February

Robert J. McGoldrick appointed to the position of Chief.
June

Celebrated our 100 anniversary with a parade.